Tuesday 15 March 2011

When told that a certain woman would not hurt a fly Dorothy Parker retorted: "Not if it was buttoned up”

                 
               “ I require only three things in a man, he must be handsome, ruthless and stupid.”

     A woman after my own heart: Dorothy Parker was a lady who could not have been more with it. To list a few of her accomplishments Ms. Parker conquered the pages of Vogue, Vanity Fair, and the New Yorker with her graceful wit and sharp tongue.  

     Parker’s claim to fame was her femme favoring satirical writing style and the long list of screenplays, poetry and short stories she wrote.  Her contempt for the male species (understandable after so many failed her in relationship) was often demonstrated in her writing. 

     Among some of her most famous quotes was “Brevity is the soul of lingerie.”  My love affair with lacy, delicate under things began when I first discovered Dita Von Teese, and since then, I find that a large part of my time is spent perusing the interwebs, looking for the puuuurrrrrrfect pairing of boy shorts and ballconette bra.

     This season, the winner would have to be La Perla. Their Passion de Fleur line is a strip teaser’s absolute dream! Sophisticated and simple this is the perfect line that has the WAH-BAM! factor we all so desperately are in search of.  None of the obnoxious neon color schemes or over embellishments and busy designs I find myself faced with when I walk into a La Senza or even Victoria’s Secret. The La Perla Greta line, as well as some of the Limited Addition Collection, consist of a few gem pieces worth looking at.


     A close and more affordable second would be Calvin Klein, without a doubt. For their tasteful amount of detail and color selection mimics La Perla’s style, while maintaining the signature features of their own labels selection of undergarments.

     A honorable mention goes to the black bustier I spotted when picking up lace underwear from my go to staple store La Vie en Rose, as well as a subtle nod to the La Senza Shape wear line.  May you fare far better next time.

    Basing the selection process on Dorothy’s Brief Scale of 1-10, one cannot argue that the Venice Collection from La Perla does not scream a come hither ten. And if you are looking to indulge your wild side, do not hesitate to bust out (pun intended) La Perla’s Black Label. There are enough feathers and tassels to tickle your every fancy.

     Although as Bette Davis once said, “I often think that a slightly exposed shoulder emerging from a long satin nightgown packed more sex than two naked bodies in bed”, I can’t help but feel that La Perla Did a brilliant job of disproving this theory.

     That being said I am off to go invest in some stockings and perhaps expand my collection of shock and awe under-attire. You are only as sexy as you feel and what better method is there, than throwing on something silky, that only you know you’re wearing (that is, until you give him a peek at the garter belt holding up your stockings.) My darling Dorothy says it best: “Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves.”

No comments:

Post a Comment